Monday, March 12, 2012

Chocolate Factory and Retail Store

Harry London/Fannie May/Fanny Farmer Chocolate Factory and Retail Store
written by Joanna Wilson


The factory building is visible from 77 when traveling both north and south on the freeway.

Did you know that we have the largest chocolate factory in the Midwest in our own backyard?  The factory makes chocolate treats for three lines: Harry London, Fannie May and Fanny Farmer.  The factory and retail store for the three chocolate lines is located at 5353 Lauby Rd, North Canton, OH 44720.  It is found just off 77 South at exit #113 for the Akron Canton Airport.  Turn right at North Lauby Rd and the entrance is just 100 feet to the right.

Stepping through the doors of the store...


...chandeliers and CHOCOLATE!

I’ve visited the very spacious retail store, located just inside the building entrance, twice since February.  I was impressed with the wide variety of chocolates available including Buckeyes, a creamy peanut butter and chocolate candy, and seasonal confections.


Adorable Easter candy is the current seasonal chocolate.


Two sizes of boxes of Artisan handcrafted, premium chocolates

What caught my eye and made my mouth water is a line of ultra-premium gourmet chocolates called Artisan by chocolatier Norman Love.  Artisan is a new line of chocolates with Fannie May available since the fall of 2011. Created in small batches, these confections are a delight not only in flavor and texture but in appearance.  They are airbrushed with cocoa butter and coloring for a very distinctive, appealing look.  Biting into the crisp chocolate, you’ll discover a ganache filled with a rich, satisfying flavor. There are currently twelve flavors: Lemonade; Double Shot Espresso; Mint Cookie; Swiss Milk Truffle; Candy Apple; Hazelnut; Birthday Cake; 64% Dark Chocolate; Peanut Butter Fudge; Chocolate Dipped Strawberry; Bourbon Vanilla; and, Caramel.  Did I mention they offer samples in the retail store?

FM Artisan premium chocolates in the display window of the candy counter.

During my first visit to the retail store, I sampled several pieces of the premium Artisan chocolates and returned several weeks later to purchase my own box.  I’ve tried each flavor and I confess my favorites are Double Shot Espresso, Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Strawberry.  The extremely friendly staff behind the counter revealed that they were working on new flavors as well. 

A bus arrives as I'm leaving.  It is filled with people excited for a factory tour--is that Charlie Bucket? Veruca Salt? Augustus Gloop?

Can you believe that this factory and gem of a retail store is located right in our own backyard?  If you are looking for an extra special Easter treat or a premium Mother’s day gift, consider a box of chocolates made locally.  Have you taken a tour of the factory yet?  What an interesting activity for entertaining out-of-town family members or for educating youth groups.  For more information about factory tours and the hours of the store, check out the website or call: 1-800-321-0444

www.HarryLondon.com
www.FannieMay.com

3 comments:

  1. Mmm. I know where I'll be filling my girl's Easter basket from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked, yet delighted to see that Fanny Farmer French and Frosted Mints were for sale at our local grocery store in a special display last year at Easter, and then again for Christmas! I searched on the internet only to find websites saying they were no longer available. Confusion reigned! SO glad to find your blog today!!! I hadn't had Fanny Farmer chocolates for so long (decades?!), and to discover them again, well, to say I am ecstatic, is an understatement! Where can I place my order for a case?!

    ReplyDelete