Monday, May 7, 2012

May Craft Shows: Shop Local, Buy Handmade!

I wear my passion on my bumper.


Oddmall, Portage Trail Barn Sale, and WeirdFest
by Joanna Wilson

May is already a busy month and there are so many wonderful things to do.  For me, I'll be spending my weekends selling my handmade greeting cards at local indie craft shows.  But it's at these venues that I enjoy shopping as well.  I prefer to support local people who make interesting and unique items rather than buy the same mass-produced stuff that fills box stores in every strip mall across the country.  If you are looking for a new shopping experience or perhaps searching for a special gift item, consider visiting any of the following venues this month. If you've never been to one of these events, you'll be inspired by the creativity of the local artists and craftspeople in Northeast Ohio.


Oddmall
Saturday, May 12--10am-6pm
Clarion Hotel: 240 East Hines Hill Rd.
Hudson, OH 44236
click this link for website

Oddmall is a twice-a-year event (each May and November) that features not only a hundred vendors but there is usually entertainment as well, including live music, jugglers, belly dancers, balloon twisters, and a variety of other surprises.  Though Oddmall places an emphasis on the weird, this very large show offers less-than-weird items as well.  You can expect to find one-of-kind: jewelry items, photography prints, stuffed toys, gourmet cupcakes, illustrated prints/artwork, and ceramics.  But you'll never know what you find there--that's the fun of showing up!  Look for me--I'll be selling my embroidered greeting cards, sharing a table with the Robot Consortium's Pat Gerber.

Look for the sign!

Portage Trail Barn Spring Sale
Thursday May 17, 5pm-8pm
Friday and Saturday, May 18-19, 10am-3pm
151 Portage Trail Ext W,
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
click this link for website

Portage Trail Barn is run by Mary Beth Filon in a rustic wooden barn on her property just above the intersection of State Rd. and Portage Trail in Cuyahoga Falls.  This Spring sale offers more traditional items for the home, children and seasonal décor all made by local artists.

C' mon in!  The Portage Trail Barn Spring Sale highlights local artists.

Most everything is made from recycled, repurposed and reused materials.  On opening night, Thursday May 17th, there will be refreshments, a make and take activity, and a campfire.  It sounds like fun for the whole family!


WeirdFest
Saturday May 26, 11am-7pm
923 Bank Street
Akron, OH
click here for the website

WeirdFest is going to be an all-day outdoor event being held at Devilstrip Dolly's, the Anti-Gallery located next to the Bomb Shelter.  In addition to vendors offering the most weird and outrageous handmade items, there will be music, food, and more.  This is the first time this event is being held, so I'm very excited to see what unfolds.  Yes, I'll be there selling the weirdest of my embroidered greeting cards--so come look for me to say 'hi.'  Come and join the movement to Keep Akron Weird!

Admission is FREE for all three venues so come check out what local artists are doing.  I guarantee that you will find something that you love. Mark your calendars: the next big indie craft show in the Akron Empire is coming June 2nd: Camp CraftyMart.  I'll see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Nice list of event thats local craft vendors can use to sell their products, have you looking into selling online items as there is a big market of online shoppers.

    ReplyDelete