Monday, August 19, 2013

Concert Photographer Joe Kleon's Exhibit Comes to Akron


In concert: Steven Tyler (photo by Joe Kleon).

Concert Photographer Joe Kleon's Exhibit Comes to Akron
by Joanna Wilson

Artist/Photographer Joe Kleon has been capturing rock and roll acts performing in Northeast Ohio for more than a decade.  His collection of photographs A Decade of Decibels was exhibited in Cleveland during June and July to rave reviews.  Lucky for us, Kleon brings his exhibit--with many new photos added--to Akron to be exhibited at Art Latte in the Valley starting this month.  A Decade of Decibels V2.0 will be available for viewing through the end of October.

Kid Rock (photo by Joe Kleon)

Kleon’s work grew out of his involvement in music. He was a radio announcer for 25 years, with top-rated stints on WNCX and WRQK, and worked as sound-effects tech for area Pink Floyd tribute band Wish You Were Here. He started shooting for photos for Wish You Were Here and quickly recognized his true passion and gift.  In the last ten years, Kleon has photographed nearly 100 shows and events a year. Slide shows of his concert shoots appear regularly at Scene’s website, featuring such artists as Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Alice Cooper, Fleetwood Mac, Britney Spears, the Dave Matthews Band, Madonna, Barry Manilow, Toby Keith, Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Kiss, Aerosmith and Taylor Swift. They are among the approximate one hundred photos that will be part of A Decade of Decibels V2.0.
 
Justin Bieber (photo by Joe Kleon)

Joe was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.  I asked him about his concert photography and his favorite performers to photograph. "I love photographing iconic bands. Some of my favorites that I have shot are Paul Simon, Rush, Madonna, Chuck Berry, Aerosmith, and Yes.  My two favorite bands to photograph are Michael Stanley & The Resonators and Wish You Were Here. I have been working with both bands for more than 10 years. The inner circle of both bands is like the best family ever. Both bands helped me get established over 10 years ago and I am proud to still be working with them today. My all time favorite show that I have photographed is Rush. They have been my favorite band since I was about 8 years old. To be able to shoot them last year was a dream come true."  I also asked Joe if there a band/performer he hasn't photographed yet that he looks forward to photographing.  "I would love to shoot The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, and Black Sabbath." 

Geddy Lee of Rush (photo by Joe Kleon)

How do you get access to take these photos?  Kleon responded, "Access can come from a number of areas. I obtain access either through Scene Magazine, the band's publicist, record label, or management, or sometimes even the bands themselves. It all depends on who I can con out of photo credentials!!"

John Mayer (photo by Joe Kleon)

After 2 months in Cleveland, what brings your photo exhibit to the Akron area?  Kleon remarked, "After a successful 2-month run in Cleveland, I decided to take the exhibit on the road, as there was much interest outside of Cleveland. I was asked to bring the exhibit to Art Latte in Akron and was very impressed by the place and want to support new business in the Akron area. Growing up in Cuyahoga Falls and living in Akron until my mid-20s, I am excited to display my work in my childhood stomping grounds!"
 
Alice Cooper (photo by Joe Kleon)

Come, meet the photographer, and check out the concert photos exhibit.  The opening reception for A Decade of Decibels V2.0 is Friday August 23, starting at 6pm at Art Latte.  This reception will also feature entertainment by Jim & Eroc, the Classic Rock Duo performing two acoustic sets between 6-9pm.  Jim & Eroc are founding members of Wish You Were Here and Eroc has been bass player for Michael Stanley & The Resonators for 20 years. Both artists are prominently featured in the exhibit.
For more details about the opening reception, check out the facebook event.

Art Latte is located at 1662 Merriman Rd. Akron, OH 44313
A Decade of Decibels V2.0 opens Friday Aug. 23rd and runs until the end of October
Opening Reception, Friday Aug. 23rd facebook event
Check out the video promo for the opening reception: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151713129447770

To view thousands of more photos, check out: JoeKleon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment