Monday, October 21, 2013

The Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog


The well-lit billboard sign above the complex of buildings at Hoppin' Frog Brewery on Akron's east side.

The Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog
by Joanna Wilson

Congratulations are in order for Akron's brewery Hoppin' Frog on their most recent success!  Earlier this month, Hoppin' Frog won a bronze medal at the Great American Beer Festival for their barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher stout. (Click HERE for the link for the list of medal winners at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival).  Upon hearing this wonderful achievement, I headed over to the Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog to taste and enjoy the local brews. 

I invited a dinner guest to join me at the east-side gastropub last week.  We weren't the only ones there eager to celebrate Hoppin' Frog's recent success.  When we ordered our dinners, it was a relief to see drink suggestions on the menu, perfectly paired to compliment our meals.  There were so many drink options, it was easiest to begin with the menu's drink suggestion and go from there.  I ordered the pork tacos--an excellent marriage of tangy pulled pork and cole slaw--that tasted even better coupled with Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale.  My guest enjoyed a meal of pasta along with an imperial stout, the barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher.  (B.O.R.I.S. is an acronym for Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout).  The barrel-aged beer has a complex and full, whiskey flavor that won us over.

Inside the Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog, one can enjoy both dinner and drinks.

After dinner, we continued to enjoy the Tasting Room's ambiance and order a few more drinks.  I wanted to try something different from the pumpkin ale and so I tried the new Gangster Frog IPA.  I loved it--the india pale ale had a citrus flavor that hit the right spot.  My guest ordered the seasonal special Oktoberfest Froggy Style Lager.  I just love seasonal beers and these did not disappoint.  We capped our night at the Tasting Room with a sweet dessert--we shared a Frog's Hollow Triple Pumpkin Beershake.  Yes, a beer mixed with ice cream and it was everything I hoped it would be! 

Look for the entrance to the Tasting Room at the green awning.

The Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog opened earlier this year and I was waiting for just the right incentive to check it out for the first time.  However, it won't be long before I return for more delicious food and brews.  Who will buy me my first round of Frosted Frog Christmas Ale?


The Tasting Room at Hoppin' Frog is located at 1680 E. Waterloo Rd., Akron OH (right across from the Airdock).
234-525-3764
Hoppin' Frog Brewery website
Hours open: Tues & Wed: 5pm-10pm, Thur & Fri: 5pm-11pm, Sat: noon-11pm, closed Sun & Mon


No comments:

Post a Comment