Monday, June 15, 2015

Urban Buzz: Made in Akron


Urban Buzz: Made in Akron
by Joanna Wilson

Last April, I joined a group of eager-to-learn leaders and entrepreneurs on a trip Akron2Pittsburgh.  On this trip, I met Kaley Foster, a young woman with a refreshing attitude about her own business named Urban Buzz.  You may have already seen Kaley--she was at Crafty Mart's Mom & Pop Shoppe, and she also set up shop at North Hill's Better Block event last month.  When I first met Kaley, I was touched by her willingness to take her life in a new direction and pursue her own passion.  I asked if she was willing to talk to me about her business Urban Buzz and the following is her response.

 
Me: What is Urban Buzz--and what do you sell?
Kaley: Urban Buzz is a beeswax candle company located in Akron, Ohio which uses only the purest beeswax from local apiaries and all natural essential oils.  We sell Tea Lights, Votives, Aromatherapy Tins, and two types of Pillar Candles.



Me: How did you get started?  What inspired you to start your business?
Kaley: I have always wanted to own my own business and use my talents to create a unique experience for customers.  I enjoy natural products, but what I enjoy more is inspiring and motivating others to live their dream.

Me: What makes you unique from other small businesses or/and other candle makers?
Kaley: What makes Urban Buzz unique is its passion for the City of Akron.  I was born and raised here and want to make our city the best it can be.  If this business can inspire other businesses and motivate people to take action, in turn creating a more engaged city, I will have reached my goal.  One other thing that makes Urban Buzz different from a product standpoint, is the beeswax.  The beeswax used is from the Akron Honey Company and also an apiary in Ashland.  Both waxes are 100% natural and local.

Me: What's your biggest challenge?
Kaley: My biggest challenge is what the next steps are for Urban Buzz.  It could go in many different directions, and figuring out what is the best direction can be a tough decision.  Luckily, I have some great mentors who I trust will guide me in the right direction. 
 
Me: Where do you see your business five years from now?
Kaley: In five years, I see Urban Buzz having a large online presence with an increased product line and also a storefront in downtown Akron with an array of honey based products.



Me: What if anything should others know about Urban Buzz--but too few people ask?
Kaley: I would love if more people knew that our goal isn't just to sell beeswax products.  It's bigger than that.  We're here to inspire others to use their talents and live their dream.  To take action.  Have courage.  Do what makes them come alive. 

If you're interested in learning more about Urban Buzz, check out the Facebook page: Urban Buzz
the website: http://www.urbnbuzz.com/

And, you can check out Urban Buzz at a Local Artists Show this Fri June 19th, 6-10pm at Old 97 Cafe on Kenmore Blvd.


No comments:

Post a Comment