Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Winery At Wolf Creek

The Winery At Wolf Creek Offers Entertainment and a Great Selection of Local Wines
by Brit Charek

I've been to the Winery at Wolf Creek several times, but it's a different experience now that I'm actually of drinking age. I remember visiting the winery several times as a child and having a blast running around outside while my parents sampled local wines. When I saw that my friends' local Stitch 'n Bitch group was meeting up there (they meet at various locations in the summertime to try to mix it up), I was pretty excited to see if it was just like I remembered and even more excited to finally try the wine.

The entrance to the winery is located on Cleveland Massillon Road near I-224, just ten minutes west of downtown Akron

It was a Wednesday evening and I couldn't get over how crowded the winery was inside and out, but that didn't alter the service in the tasting room at all. Everyone behind the bar was friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. They were happy to help you find the right wine for your taste and give out samples. You can buy wine by the glass or the bottle to drink on the premises, or buy a bottle to enjoy at home.

The view from the deck outside the tasting room overlooking the vineyard and a lake.

I am by no means a wine snob, but as the daughter of a basement winemaker I've had enough syrupy-sweet homemade Ohio concord wine that I tend to shy away from locally made wines. I was pleasantly surprised by what they had to offer at Wolf Creek. Vignoles, Pinot Gris, Isabella, Delaware, Cabernet Franc, and Riesling-- these were not the varietals I expected to be growing right down the street! 

For a warm summer night I would especially recommend the Pinot Gris or the Chardonnay, which is unoaked, giving it a light taste of fruit that is usually masked by the taste of the oak barrels a Chardonnay is typically aged in. It was crisp and refreshing. For those who like the sweeter wines, they have a variety of fruit wines, including their "Original Sin," made from a blend of Ohio-grown apples.

Akron Empire is proud to support Ohio farmers, especially winemakers!
On the patio outside the tasting room there was live music, which they have every Monday and Wednesday nights from 5-7 pm. There's also a huge grassy area with picnic tables perfect for letting the letting the little ones run around while parents sit back and enjoy the scenery. On the other side of a fence are goats who love to be petted by the patrons.

The goats are cute and entertaining!
The winery has all sorts of unique tour packages and cool events year round. I'm especially looking forward to going back for Vino & Vinyasa, a package that includes a yoga class followed by a glass of wine. Another popular event is "Yappy Hours," befitting GivePetsAChance and includes a glass of wine for you and treats for your canine companion.

To learn more about the winery and browse their calendar of events, check out their website or click here to like them on Facebook. If you want to get an inside look at what goes on in the everyday operation of a vineyard, be sure to check out the winemaker's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment