Sunday, June 15, 2014

Archie the Talking Snowman Book Project


Archie the Talking Snowman at Chapel Hill mall.

Book Author Seeking Your Input on Archie the Snowman and other Akron-area Christmas Attractions
by Joanna Wilson

As many of you know, by day I work as a book author.  Recently I co-authored the history/nostalgia book A is for Akron and I've also written Christmas entertainment books including Tis the Season TVMy current project is a new book about Akron’s favorite holiday tradition, Archie the Talking Snowman.  Remember when I wrote the Akron Empire post about Archie returning to Lock 3 in 2012?

Part of my effort to compile this local history involves looking for people willing to share their stories and experiences of Archie.  Your experience could have been as a child, as a parent bringing your children to Archie, as an employee, as a volunteer, or even as one of the people who provided Archie with his voice.  I'm collecting people's stories, memories, and descriptions to add to the book--and I'd love to include your story.


Archie the Snowman as he looked in 2012 at Lock 3.

As a child, were you too shy or afraid of Archie?  Please share your funny anecdotes as well.  I would like to hear stories with Archie that took place between 1968-2003 at Chapel Hill Mall, as well as newer stories after Archie’s return in 2012 at Lock 3.  I am also looking for people willing to share their personal photographs of Archie or themselves with Archie from these two periods. 

Additionally,  I am seeking photos and memories from:

-- the original O’Neil’s and Polsky's downtown holiday window displays
--photos and experiences from the Dec. 11th, 2011 Ride-Along event in support of bringing back Archie
--any stories and photos about O'Neil's Talking Christmas Tree and talking Raggedy Ann doll, and Polsky's Tom the Talking Horse.
--photos of Santa Claus's arrival, riding atop an elephant at Chapel Hill Mall during the 1970s-1980s
--photos and memories of the life size Nativity that sat on the O'Neil's marquee downtown
--photos, memories and stories about the Christmas attractions at Summit Mall, Rolling Acres, Belden Village, State Road Shopping Center, Arlington Road Shopping Center, and Akron Square.
--any other images relevant to Archie and Chapel Hill's Christmas attractions that you’d love to share!


Archie at Chapel Hill.

Though most of us are enjoying the air conditioning and watching summer baseball games, I'm writing the book this summer.  I'll continue writing it through the summer, however my deadline is August--long before many of us begin reminiscing during the holiday season.  I'd love to include your experiences--so please contact me soon.  If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to email me.  Send your stories and your photos to: Archiehistory@gmail.com

Click HERE for website AkronArchie.blogspot.com with the description of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment