Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Punk Rock Show--June 13th, 2014




One Days Notice/Sink the Ship at the Vortex on Friday June 13th
by Joanna Wilson

Coming from kind of a punk rock background myself, I appreciate the DIY ethic of punk and making a space for yourself in this world.  When the punk rock band One Days Notice from Cleveland contacted me about their upcoming show in Akron, I immediately appreciated their boldness and devotion to taking punk rock seriously.  One Days Notice shared with me a little bit about themselves and their philosophy.

One Days Notice--photo by Beth Truxall of To the Moon and Back Photography.

Jesea, Chris, David, and Justin of One Days Notice have been under the same line-up since 2010.  Though they cite The Offspring, Blink 182, Story of the Year, Sum 41, Rise Against, Jimmy Eat World, Bad Religion, My Chemical Romance, Goldfinger, and Green Day as some of the bands they are inspired by--you can definitely hear The Offspring and pop music as influences.  When asked if they are more at home in the studio recording or performing live, I was told they prefer the less structured, improvised nature of performing.  And, having a great time.  I don't doubt that.



Their most recent release is When Dinosaurs Get Drunk, an album from the fall of 2013.  I asked the band what they were most proud of about this release and they shared with me that they got to make the album they wanted to make--it was an experience exactly like what they wanted, how they wanted it.  Lucky for us, they are currently writing their next album and hope to be in the studio with it by the end of this summer.  I also asked them what punk rock means to them--and their immediate response, "Do exactly what you want, all the time."  Who doesn't love the 'no rules' ethos? 

How can you check out this ambitious Cleveland punk band?  This Friday, June 13th they are playing here in Akron at the Vortex (on Brittain Rd.) with the Akron band, Sink the Ship.  Support local music and who knows, this band could be your life.

Facebook event for One Days Notice/Sink the Ship at the Vortex
Facebook page for the band One Days Notice
bandcamp page link for One Days Notice


1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I can't wait to check out this band on Friday!

    ReplyDelete